Sunburn Treatment Tips for Residents & Visitors in Cape May Court House, NJ
Sunburn treatment advice is vital in the Cape May Court House, New Jersey, area, where many people enjoy our popular beaches in the summertime. In most cases, sunburns are mild to moderate in intensity, and can be effectively treated at home. However, it is also important to know when to seek out medical attention for more severe sunburns.
For mild cases, the following steps are typically sufficient sunburn treatment for milder cases:
- Get out of the sun – At the first sign of burning, such as tingling or redness, it’s time to head inside. Sunburns frequently take hours to completely develop, so what first appears as a minor burn can worsen considerably as time goes by.
- Take a cool shower or bath and pat your skin dry – Then apply moisturizing lotion to the affected skin. Many people choose products that include hydrocortisone or aloe vera to help take the sting out of the sunburn.
- Reduce the ache by taking a pain reliever like acetaminophen – Anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can also reduce the swelling associated with sunburns and potentially speed up healing.
- Stay hydrated – Being out in the sun too long can dehydrate your body, so it’s key to drink enough water while you’re completing the other steps of your sunburn treatment.
- Try to stay indoors – Keeping your skin out of the sun should be a top priority, but if you must go out, cover up using clothing, hats, and sunglasses.
In cases of severe sunburn, this treatment plan may not be enough, and you may need to seek medical attention. You should see a professional if you have a sunburn over more than a quarter of your body (over your entire back, for example), or if you are experiencing chills, running fevers, feeling nauseated, or having other flu-like symptoms. Blisters may not need professional sunburn treatment as long as you try to prevent them from breaking, and clean them thoroughly if they do break. If a broken blister becomes infected, medical intervention may be necessary.
For residents and visitors to Cape May Court House, NJ, sunburn treatment is right around the corner at Cape Regional Urgent Care. As the area’s premier walk-in clinic, we offer fast, effective care for sunburns and other non-emergency conditions without the need for an appointment.